Welcome to Ishanekon: World Shapers. If this is your first roleplaying game, I suggest you start with the Beginner Introduction. Otherwise, this page is your best starting point.
IWS has the same basic structure as other table-top roleplaying games (TTRPGs), with a game master (GM) that controls the world and players that control one character each. It is played with a standard dice set (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d100). But what makes it different?
- It is 100% free. The whole rule set, all creature stats, all tools, and any future updates are and will be free while offering a complexity that is usually found only in paid TTRPGs.
- IWS can be used for basically any setting and has a wide variety of options to customize the rules to fit any kind of game style, be it classical fantasy adventures, cosmic horror, or detective games.
- You’ll have enormous freedom when customizing your character so you can play them exactly how you imagine the character in your head.
- There is a complexity filter that allows you to limit your options so that you are not overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices. This website also includes beginner guides that help you get started.
IWS has the following design philosophies:
- You choose your game’s and character’s flavor. Features, Talents, and Abilities are mostly flavor-free so that you can fill in how you imagine your character to be. For example, the Ability Physical Bolt could be a telekinetic blow, firing a steel ball with a canon, hitting the enemy with a stream of high-pressure water, or just throwing a rock.
- Any way of playing a character should be viable, whether it is realistic or not. For example, your choice of weapon should not limit your ability to keep up with everybody else, even if a short bow could never keep up with an assault rifle in real life. Your options may have different strengths and weaknesses, but no one should be noticeably worse than most others. There may be ways to power game and be stronger than the average character, but no choice should feel worse than most or put you at a disadvantage.
- Creative freedom in your character design supersedes any rules about coherence or setting. IWS sacrifices limitations that might keep trouble players in check to offer you the tools to make whatever you want. This TTRPG relies on good communication between the GM and the players to ensure that nobody designs a character that does not fit your setting. A good session zero is advised.
- You do not have to play as a fighter. There are plenty of options that allow you to increase your options for out-of-combat utility. You could go so far as to design a character that has basically zero fighting capabilities.
- Fun before realism. Yes, it is realistic that you would eventually run out of ammunition. But for most people, it is rather tedious to keep track of all your arrows, bullets, and so on. IWS tries to focus on more streamlined and fun rules instead of making everything more realistic than it needs to be.
IWS aims to offer a great free TTRPG experience for any kind of table. I hope you have fun with it.
Become part of our community and join our Discord Server (https://discord.gg/C6gkwJc9R2). Take an active role in the development of Ishanekon: World Shapers, ask your questions, or just chill with us and hang out.
Next Chapter: General Rules